Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Are you what you eat?

I watched Supersize Me on TV the other night. If you have not seen this documentary I really suggest you get it from your library or elsewhere and see it. It's no wonder obesity and health problems are on the increase!

When my son was younger and I was busy with school and work, I admit we did McDonald's and Wendy's more than I knew was good for either of us. But at least on most days, we ate well at home. Given that we are both still healthy, I guess not much long term damage was done but after watching the movie I wonder why parents take kids there so frequently.

Childhood obesity is a triple whammy for kids:
One - they are made fun of by others.
Two - they tend to stay away from sports and physical activity - further isolating them from peers.
Three - it's a path to serious health issues.

What can parents do?
Provide good modeling. If you have food around that is full of what are known as empty calories - throw it out. Get rid of the soft drinks - they are just sugar water. Eat at home more often. And believe it or not, kids will eat vegetable and yogurt - or peanut butter.

Do you know why baby food has added sweeteners? For the parents! Marketers know that parents will taste test the food so they sweeten it. Does your baby need that sweetener? Nope. Will baby eat unsweetened food. Yup.

And - if you would like a free sample of a product that is good for your kids - one that is designed to package the nutritional goodness of 12 different fruits and vegetables, green tea powder, vitamins, and glyconutritionals into a delicious gummy-bear like snack - send an email to me at glycopdx@gmail.com with your name and phone number and I'll call you and tell you more.

No comments: